We’re starting on a new journey in the world of Runeterra, a realm full of endless mysteries, on a completely new continent: Freljord. In this adventure, the beloved characters Nunu and Willump from League of Legends will narrate their story. Has the game succeeded in delivering a fresh and exciting experience for players on this journey? Has it presented an epic story unveiling new events and aspects similar to previous works in the ‘League of Legends‘ Story series? We’ll discover that in the review and evaluation of the game, ‘Song of Nunu: A League of Legends Story, coming straight from the heart of the League of Legends world and Riot Forge, a studio owned by Riot Games.
Brief Overview of Who Nunu and Willump Are in the World of League of Legends
Before we dive into the game review, let me share some details about the two main characters in League of Legends. Nunu and Willump are among the oldest characters to join League of Legends. Their concept was simple: a child throwing snowballs in a winter coat, riding a mythical and fantastical creature known as a Yeti. However, they transformed into a beloved and amazing duo after the graphics and story update in 2018.
Nunu and Willump hail from a frozen region called Freljord, a land known for its coldness and ancient magic. Freljord is a harsh place where warring tribes and thieves engage in constant conflicts for the rare resources provided by the land.
The venerable ice mage Lissandra controls the destiny of Freljord to achieve her mysterious goals. Something is hidden beneath the ice, and Lissandra strives hard to prevent it from emerging. It seems that Nunu and Willump have an important role in her plan, although they don’t know the true purpose behind it. This background has been built over more than ten years, and the game ‘Song of Nunu takes us on a new adventure with this duo.
Now, the duo is on a quest. They’re enjoying the snow, creating happy memories while eagerly searching for Nunu’s mother. Right from the start, you realize this is a unique storytelling experience where two friends challenge the world and its hidden dangers as they strive to reach Nunu’s mother.
The story will begin with a short cutscene in which we travel through a snowstorm to rescue Willump. Then, the game takes us back three days, where Nunu wakes up in a cave and heads to Freljord to find Willump, who has a little surprise for his friend. After presenting the “funny gift,” your adventure begins as you journey towards the mountain with wings, searching for the Heart of the Blue.
Of course, things aren’t that simple. The ice mage Lissandra is chasing the duo as they make their way towards the winged mountains. This journey is not just a quiet stroll in Freljord; it’s a land filled with risks, especially for a ten-year-old child. Lissandra is not the only character they’ll encounter. Several other characters from the League of Legends world also make appearances. One of the characters you’ll meet is Braum, and there are plenty of other surprises, but I won’t spoil the fun for you.
The game offers an experience reminiscent of PS2 games, evoking a sense of classic nostalgia akin to titles like UP and It Takes Two. It transports me to the past with elements from games possessing amazing artistic styles that enhance the beauty of the world.
Nunu is a little child with a talent for throwing snowballs and playing the flute, but in reality, you won’t feel any harm with Nunu as he’s just a kid. However, the same cannot be said for Willump.
Willump has the ability to strike any enemy in his path with light and heavy blows, similar to most classic games. He can also climb walls, but only designated for climbing, and can break specifically marked ice.
The game adds diversity to gameplay with light encounters against ice wolves, where you combine light and heavy strikes to fight them. Additionally, there’s a stealth element where you divert guards’ attention to safely cross without direct combat.
When the duo combines forces, they can perform wonders, with most puzzles relying on their collaboration. Nunu can explode environmental elements, like using snowballs to hit explosive plants, while Willump smashes surfaces.
Using Nunu’s magical flute to manipulate moving platforms is another interesting gameplay element. The flute, designed wonderfully, has four notes arranged in a square-like setting, allowing you to mix musical notes to create different tunes and melodies, making the game even more enjoyable.
There are some small activities in the game, appearing once or twice during the story, such as sledding where Nunu rides on Willump’s back as a sled down a mountain. During this time, you need to be cautious not to collide, use snowballs to break fruit-bearing plants to clear the path, and more.
Features of the Song Of Nunu: A League Of Legends Story
- The game unfolds a fantastic story from the world of Runeterra, immersing you in a whimsical adventure that makes you feel like a part of it, blending events and secrets to deepen and excite your gaming experience.
- The puzzles provided were pleasantly easy to understand, and not overly complicated. I enjoyed solving them effortlessly, adding a perfect fit to the game experience and enhancing the overall enjoyment of playing.
- The background music was splendid and suited the game’s atmosphere perfectly Composed by Chris Velasco, renowned for his work on games like God Of War III and Assassin’s Creed: Unity, the music was both impactful and poignant.
- The game provided me with a wealth of information about the Freljord world and presented exceptionally well, answering many questions I had about the Freljord universe.
Cons of the Song Of Nunu: A League Of Legends Story
- The combat in the game wasn’t enjoyable due to its extreme simplicity, leading to a noticeable lack of challenge and variety. Player options were often limited and lacked significant diversity, making the combat experience seem easy and dull.
- The exploration experience in the game fell short of being sufficiently enjoyable and suffered from a lack of diversity, not providing many varied opportunities to enjoy different explorative experiences.
- The game’s graphics quality was lower than expected, overly simplistic, and lacking the breathtaking experience or distinctive details that inspire players, resulting in a lack of clear visual charm.
Do I advise you to buy the game?
YES, Especially for fans of the Runeterra world and, of course, League of Legends enthusiasts. Explore some of the most important characters in this universe, as well as the famous region: Freljord. And for those who are not familiar with this world or the game in general, ‘Song Of Nunu’ is still an enjoyable and warm experience that deserves your time.